For nearly the past two months we’ve been in regular contact to keep you updated on the unfolding situation and how we’ve been managing our way through the crisis on a global basis. Clearly, while it hasn’t been “business as usual” during this period, we have been able to maintain ongoing service throughout, continuing to distribute fabrics and samples into all regions, and – apart from two brief interruptions in the UK and in Lithuania – continuing to produce fabrics to critical capacity demand. We thank you all for your patience and support, and apologise if there have been any instances when you have struggled to get the fabric you want when you want it.
The positive news is that all our manufacturing sites are now operational and we are expanding our production capacities in line with customer demand to include a far greater number of product lines, prioritising back orders and our top selling SKUs. We are working very closely with our production planning teams as well as our external supply partners to actively improve our service levels which will result in improved fabric availability and leadtimes. As always, the more visibility you are able to give us about your own forward order intentions, the more proactively we will be able to work with you to adjust our manufacturing schedules if we need to. Your sales or customer service contacts will be able to provide you with specific details of fabric availability and forward manufacturing.
Our latest global operational position is outlined below:
- UK sites – all manufacturing sites are running, in some cases up to two shifts per day, including woollen yarn spinning, yarn and piece dyeing, weaving and finishing (including lamination) and technical knitting. Distribution of fabrics and samples is taking place from our Huddersfield facility as normal.
- Lithuania manufacturing – operational for polypropylene yarn manufacturing, plush weaving (transport fabrics) and cut & sew component covers – all in line with customer demand
- North America – supply of samples, supply of essential business and also supply of textiles for manufacturing of goods that support workplace modifications to prevent the spread of Covid-19 infections
- China – ongoing operations for distribution into China and some Asia Pacific regions, although currently enjoying an extended Labour Day holiday weekend
- Australia – again, ongoing operations from our Melbourne warehouse, serving transportation customers in bus, coach and rail
As we begin another new month in this strange new normal, the UK government is preparing to announce at the weekend how some of the restrictions may be eased, while mainland Europe is around two weeks or so ahead of the UK position. In North America, meanwhile, the Stay at Home order has been extended in Michigan until 15th May. Wherever you are, and whatever stage of the curve you’re up to, please be assured that our front-line teams continue to be contactable to offer product or technical support, take sample requests or fabric orders or simply catch up over a social conversation. Of course, our social media channels are a great way to keep in touch and our website is updated regularly with new content and information. We look forward to the time when restrictions are more fully lifted and we can socialise more openly, with customers and colleagues, and say that it really is “business as usual”.
Group Sales Director
Archived Coronavirus Articles
13th March 2020
19th March 2020
24th March 2020
2nd April 2020
17th April 2020
5th May 2020