Project in Focus: Null Stern – the only star is you
Project: Null Stern – the only star is you
Artists/Designers: Frank and Patrik Riklin, Daniel Charbonnier
Photos: Atelier für Sonderaufgaben
In July 2016, the conceptual artists, Frank and Patrik Riklin and hospitality professional Daniel Charbonnier reopened “Null Stern – the only star is you” in the form of an open air double bed in the Swiss countryside: no real estate, no walls and no roof.
The novel version of a hotel is managed by the local residents who welcome guests while bringing an innovative spirit to the hospitality sector.
Reconsidering our relationship with our surroundings and bringing us closer to nature, this project echoes the spirit of our 2017/18 trend, Habitat.
5 Facts about Null Stern – the only star is you:
- The concept of Null Stern – the only star is you, made global headlines between 2008 and 2010 and is now reborn in Safiental, Grisons (Switzerland).
- First created in 2008 in a nuclear bunker in the town of Sevelen, St. Gallen (Switzerland) under the tag line “the first zero star hotel in the world”, the concept evolved to gain its current identity in 2009 in Teufen, Appenzell (Switzerland) under the brand “Null Stern – the only star is you”.
- The conceptual artists Frank and Patrik Riklin explain: "The landscape of Switzerland is the imaginary building of the new Null Stern Hotel version". This evolution of the concept redefines the notion of resources and the idea of ownership.
- The partners plan to implement this new version of the concept across different regions of Switzerland. The objective is to develop a hotel room without walls or roof while showcasing the natural splendor of Swiss landscapes. Daniel Charbonnier explains, “Even though this version is radically different from the first one in the nuclear bunker, the essence and the spirit of the concept remains the same: to put the guest at the center of the experience and to focus on the intangible by reducing everything else to the minimum”.
- With support from the Alps Arts Academy and Safiental Tourism, the double bed is available for reservations.
For additional information, visit: www.nullsternhotel.com.